Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Are animals as emotional as humans?

Dog saves another dog from traffic

Grieving Elephants

I was recently involved in a debate with a friend of mine who believes that animals do not feel emotions the same way humans do.  I argued that, although most animals may not be as complex as humans, many mammals still feel and express basic emotions, i.e. fear, jealousy, joy, and sadness; the main difference being that animals cannot identify these feelings the way that humans can.  I've posted 2 videos here to sort of "back up" my argument, and I'd be interested to hear any other arguments, experiences, or opinions.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I think animals are full of emotions. I can think of so many examples just from my dog alone. He is super jealous of any other dogs getting attention. He is even jealous of my baby nephew. He cries for an entire day when my dad leaves town for the week and nearly has a heart attack when he comes home, somewhat like these videos:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkeq9H0aayg

    http://www.godvine.com/Mommy-and-Doggy-Reunite-After-a-Year-Apart-343.html

    ReplyDelete